👉Hi~ Welcome back to [Grammar] today! It’s nice to learn with you guys!👈
😍Let’s get start~
Medium has two plurals—media and mediums, which can be confusing because the correct plural to apply may depend on what sense of ‘medium’ you are using.
1. Media (Mass Communication)
- One sense of ‘medium’ is ‘a channel of communication’. This typically applies to things like television, radio, newspapers and the internet.
- The plural of this sense of ‘medium’ is ‘media’, which is a mass noun.
We gathered data from a variety of media.
The plural ‘media’ also applies in a few other cases, including:
- Electronic files that can be played (e.g. an MP3 is a type of ‘digital media’)
- Intervening substances, especially in the sciences (e.g. air and water are ‘media’ through which sound can be transmitted)
- Artistic materials (e.g. paint and charcoal are ‘artistic media’)
It is therefore correct to use ‘media’ as a plural in any of these situations.
2. Mediums (People Who Speak To Spirits)
- Mediums is the plural when medium refers to a person who communicates with the dead.
As a professional ghost hunter, I have worked with many mediums.
3. Medium (to describe an intermediate quality)
This T-shirt is medium size.
- In some cases, however, it is used as a noun to mean either a means of transmission of a force or effect or an enveloping substance.
The best medium for growing that plant is commercial potting soil.
The sound travels through the medium of the air.
😎Try not to mix up them again!
#1 The internet is an important________ for communication.
#2 Thanks to the technology and social _______, public opinion is the most powerful political force in the world today.
#3 Several_________ carried the story about the car crash in their local news segments
Leave a comment to tell us why you choose these answers.
And don’t forget to follow us on social media 🙂 See you!