[Phrases] 5 “Delicious” Idioms

Hey guys! Welcome to Phrases. Today`s idioms we are going to learn are related to food. Let`s start!

1. to bring home the bacon

Bacon is a kind of pork. It is the ordinary food served in western families. But this idiom has nothing to do with meat. Actually, it means making money to support the family.

• As the eldest child, Mark has a lot of responsibility– he has to finish his degree while bringing home the bacon.
  • Who brings home the bacon? You, your husband or both?

2. to have bigger fish to fry

Fried fish is a popular home cook. When someone tells you he has a bigger fish to fry, is he planning to prepare some seafood for you? Of course not. To have “bigger fish to fry” means that you have something that is more important than other things to do.

• I know you’re upset that we’re not going away on holiday this year, but we’ve got bigger fish to fry – I think I’m going to lose my job.

3. like two peas in a pod

People may use this expression to describe you and your parents, twin sister or brother. To be like two peas in a pod means to be very similar, especially in appearance.

• These twins are like two peas in a pod.
  • Wow, he and his father look like two peas in a pod.

4. to go bananas

If your boss tells you that you have to work overtime in the next whole year, you go bananas. Yep, you are driven mad and fail to control your temper.

• I was on the highway yesterday in a terrible traffic jam. Suddenly, the man in the next car to me went bananas. He was screaming and yelling and then he crashed his car into mine! Totally out of control.

5. That`s the way the cookie crumbles.

This idiom`s history can date back to the 1920s in the US. It is used to underline a failure of an action, or disappointment in reaching an undesired result, with the additional meaning that the result was not an unexpected one.

• But this is so unfair! You’re a better flight attendant than we’ll ever be.Thanks. That`s the way the cookie crumbles. I’ll be fine. I’ve been thinking about quitting anyway.

Practice: make sentences with the idioms above.

Don`t forget to leave your comments below. See you next time!

.png

• I want to bring home the bacon… But it ‘s not possible for one year… Bcause i have a baby..
    But before last year i was attempt for a job… But the cokkie crumbles..i didn’t got the job.. I hope for that..i will go to have bigger fish to fry for the next year to bring home the bacon for my family to spend happy life…

• i had toiled a lot , in my puberty days to bring home the bacon but i failed in many times thats the way cookie crumbled me in those difficult days

• iam getting a lot of work from the office on weekend days through which i go banana but i had bigger fish to fry at home; my two toddlers, like peace of pod who makes me jubilant after i reached a home.

• I was the one who brings home the bacon, but one day I went bananas because my boss has a nasty twin they were like two peas in a pod, I got fired and now I have bigger fish to fry , anyway that’s the way the cookie crumbles

• Sorry for cancelling the order yesterday.because I had bigger fish to fry. I know you trying to bring home the bacon.

• Im only the person who bring home the bacon and thats why sometime i went bananas due to lot of work and pressure

• I’m the one who bring home the bacon. I wanted to get a good job. But I couldn’t study further. That’s the way the cookie crumbled. Suddenly I have got a chance at a time to work in two firms. They are like two peas in a pod. I am very much confused to have bigger fish to fry.

• I am very happy to know new idioms. Which will be helpful for me and my learning skill.

• 1. Every body always say “your face like two peas in a pod with your daddy” to my daughter..
    2. As householder, I have to bring home the bacon for my family.

• It was really interesting . I enjoyed it and loved it😚😍. I will be waiting for next interesting phrases☺️

• Thank u dictionary for this I am preparing for ssc cgl but I have face many problem in english but now I can feel good in english and opsolutly I to bring home t the bacon I feel

• 1. He has to join job early to bring home the bacon.

2. Our tour to New York has canceled but we have got a bigger fish to fry.

3. Those two sisters look like two peas in a pod.

4. Our boss has given him plentiful work to do than regular. This man went bananas.

5. He wanted to built a sophisticated software but got something completely differently. That’s the way the cookie crumbles.

• I like it but the think is that I don’t know how where and when to use it that’s all

• In our society poor child of labour bring home bacon instead of their study

• people used to say that i and my brother were like two peas in a pot yet we are not twin as i’m older by 2 years. we study abroad, i went to US and my brother to canada. we wish to bring the bacon home after finishing our study and get a job here.

back then i failed may times applying to national unis in country even i had gave my best. fortunately, heaven had bigger fish to fry.

then i tried applying to study abroad, yet another failure, that’s the way the cookie crumbles because i thought i didnt prepare it enough. the second times was one of the happiest moment in my life.

• Me and my brother look like two peas in a pot but we are doing our work good.I have big fish to fry so that i can bring home bacon after completing my graduation…if i haven’t get it then i will go to banana and that’s the way cookies crumble.

• Today, It’s my graduation day. I’m so happy. I wear couple Kebaya with my sister. And wow. We are like to peas in a pod. I promise, after this day, I will to bring home the bacon.

• Last month I couldn’t go with my family for vacation because I had a bigger fish to fry and yesterday I lost my new iPhone which I had bought in two months ago but it’s ok thats why the cookie crumbles. I remember when I went in a marriage last winters. I saw two brothers on there and they were like two peas in a pod

• My husband brings home the bacon I also want to do but I already got bigger fish to fry bcz I’m a housewife that’s the way cookie crumbles I want to do to office job but now I feel all gone in vain n than I some time went bananas