[Phrases] How To Cancel Plans In English?

Hiya! The answer to the last episode is  C.

Have you ever made a plan with someone, but then realized that you have to change the plan or cancel it? Then you’d better be careful about your expressions if you don’t want to be considered rude!

Let’s learn some useful expressions for such situations!

1. Cancel

• I’m calling because…
  • The reason I need to speak to you is…

A. I need to cancel/change my appointment.

B. I won’t be able to attend the meeting on Monday. (to someone you don’t know well)

C. I can’t make it to the meeting on Monday. (to friends you know well)

These are used to cancel or reschedule in a reasonable time——the person you speak to will have enough time to deal with it.

2. Apologize

getty_525560853_213161

What if the meeting or appointment begins tomorrow or even today? Then you’d better make an apology at first.

A. “I’m so sorry for the late notice, but I need to cancel.”

B. “My apologies, I need to cancel.”

• “I was really looking forward to it!”

You can use this expression to tell the person you’re upset and you still want to meet them in the future.

3. Explain

• Something has come up.

You can use this expression when you don’t know the person well and don’t want to explain the details.

But maybe you can be a little more honest to friends or close colleagues. Then you can just tell them the reasons after apologies.

A. I’m really sorry! I’ve had such a busy week and I’ve double-booked myself!

B. I’ve been feeling under the weather all day. Is it okay if we postpone dinner until I’m feeling better?

4. Reschedule

• Is it possible to reschedule? (formal)
  • Can we try for next Tuesday instead? (informal)
  • Can I make a new appointment time? (informal)

Practice:

You have an appointment with your new colleague Rose on Friday, but you want to cancel it and reschedule to next week. Write down what you will say, following the 4 steps above.

Looking forward to your comments!

See you!

• Me: Ross, I won’t be able to attend the appointment on Friday. Sorry for the late notice but, I need to cancel it. Really I was looking forward it.
      Ross: Is there any problem sir?
      Me: The reason I need to speak to you is something has come up.
      Ross: OH!
      Me: Is it possible to reschedule it for the next week?
      Ross: Of course sir, as you wish.
      Me: OK thanks for your concent.
      Ross: It’s my pleasure sir.

• My apologies but I think I need to reschedule the meeting to the next week. I am really sorry I’ve had a busy week.

• Can you plese explain how I learn ir traslate I have bien.
    Or how I can use it

• I’m so sorry for the late notice, but I need to cancel… I was really looking forward to it !!! Can we try For next Friday instead?

• I’m really sorry! I’ve had such a busy week.
    Is it possible to reschedule it to next week instead?

• I apologize I can’t make the appointment on Friday. Can you please reschedule the appointment for next Friday instead.

• Sorry for the late notice, but i won’t be able to attend the meeting on friday. Is it possible to reschedule it to next week ?
    I’m really sorry!

• I really apologize for late notice. I need to cancel this meeting but we will meet on next week .

• I can appologize you . But only in one condition – you have to lost this world.

• Me:Hello,Rose.We have a appointment on Friday.But,I shall not join it.So,I need to cancel our appointment. I’m so sorry.
    Rose:It’s ok.So,when will you free?We keep our appointment that day.
    Me:I’m free on Tuesday.So,would we keep this appointment on the next Tuesday,please?
    Rose:Yes,I can.
    Me:Thank you.
    Rose:Welcome.We will meet next Tuesday.Ok?
    Me:Ok.
    Rose:Bye.
    Me:Bye.

• Rose, sorry i can’t come to meeting today. Sorry for the late notice. I’ve something that i must to finish first.

• My apology Rose, But it is not possible to meet u on this Friday. Can we reschedule to next week

• I called you because I need to cancel the appointment and I apologize for my deeds I got another work to do this Saturday. If it is possible can we reschedule the appointment to next Monday.

• Ross, i apologize because i have something to do with my parents at the same day. And i feel bad for it, can i reschedule the appointment into next week?

• I’m so sorry, its my apologies. Can we try for next week instead?

• Hello, Mrs. Rose. I’m calling because want to apologize first that i won’t be able to attend the meeting this Friday. Is it possible to reschedule it next week? Thanks for your attention.

• My apologies, I won’t be be able to attend the appointment on Friday. Can’t me postpone it to next Friday instead?

• I’m calling beacause i need to cancel is it possible yo reschedule?

• I am sorry , i double booked myself this week. can we try next week ?

• Hi Rose, we will have the meeting in next week, I apologise for late notice.

• Hello rose, i’m calling because i won’t be able to attend the appointment on friday. I’m so sorry for the late notice, but something has come up, and i was really looking forward to it.

• I won’t be able to make it that meeting on tomorrow. So kindly could you Reschedule our meeting on day-after-day instead . . .

• Hii Rose, i can’t make it to the meeting on the friday, my apologies for cancelling, can we try next Friday instead?.

• Hey Rose, I’m really sorry, I won’t be able to meet you this Friday. Can we try for next Friday instead?

• Dear Rose,

My apologies, i need to cancel my appointment to attend the meeting tomorrow on friday.
    is it okay if we reschedule the meeting for next friday?

• I can’t make it to meeting on Friday. I am really sorry. I got urgent work to do at home. Can we make it next week..?

• I am calling because…
    The reason i need to speak to you is i wont be able to attend the meeting on friday
    I am so sorry for the late notice but i need to cancel.something has come up is it possible to reschedule on nextweek?

• 1. I won’t be able to make it for our appointment next Friday, can we reschedule it next week?
    2.i am sorry for the late notice but I need to cancel our appointment & I wonder if we can reschedule it next week?
    3. I’m really sorry! I’ve had such a busy week and I’ve double-booked myself, I totally forgot to tell you that earlier can we postponed our appointment to the next week?
    4. Is it possible to reschedule our meeting to the next week instead of next Friday?